Auto Accident Lawyers of Houston
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car accident? You need lawyers who know how to try these cases and get results. Let the legal team of Neal Davis and Jed Silverman help you get on the road to recovery. If they don't win, you don't pay. That's their No Fee Guarantee.
Serious car accidents happen every day across the state of Texas, and the Houston area is especially dangerous for motorists.
In fact, Harris County saw 110,489 car accidents in 2015 alone according to the Texas Department of Transportation. Houston's large population and numerous crowded highways mean that residents are much more likely to be in a serious car accident.
With so many car accidents, it's easy for claims to get lost in the shuffle. Our attorneys are fully prepared to give your case the attention it deserves and help you receive maximum compensation for your injuries.
Let us help you receive maximum compensation for your car accident claim. Contact us today.
What to Do After a Car Accident
After an unexpected car accident, it can be hard to know exactly how to react amidst the chaos; however, there are certain steps that need to be taken both immediately and in the days following a car accident. In order to stay safe and avoid damaging your claim to compensation, follow these steps after an accident:
- 1. Call 911 - This step should always be first priority. Make sure everyone in your car is safe and check on any other drivers/vehicles that may have been involved in the accident. Call the police and request an ambulance for anyone who is seriously injured.
- 2. Cooperate with Police - When the police arrive at the scene of the accident, be cooperative and do not forget to ask for a copy of the police report for your records.
- 3. Gather Evidence - Before leaving the scene of an accident, be sure to gather as much information about the accident as possible. This means taking pictures from several angles and distances, asking eyewitnesses to provide contact information, and exchanging insurance information with the other driver(s) involved. Keep this information safe because it will be needed if a claim for compensation is filed.
- 4. Receive Medical Attention - Even if you don't feel you are seriously injured, you should seek medical attention following an accident. Pain can remain hidden until days or weeks after the accident.
- 5. Contact Your Insurance Company - Inform your insurance company of your accident as soon as possible. Answer any questions honestly.
- 6. Never Admit Fault - You should never admit fault to anyone in the case of a car accident. This includes police, the other driver, any witnesses, or insurance companies. Doing so can be detrimental to your case in the future.
- 7. Consult an Attorney - In the interest of your legal rights, it pays to contact a skilled Texas car accident attorney in order to ensure you receive proper compensation for your accident damages.
Learn More About...
Common Causes of Car Accidents
The vast majority of car accidents are caused by negligence, mechanical failure, or various external factors. Some of the most common causes for car accidents in the Houston area include:
- Driver Error - Most accidents can be attributed to this cause. Negligent driving includes speeding, running stop signs or red lights, driving while distracted, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or failing to yield.
- Dangerous Roads - If roads are not maintained properly, government entities can be held liable for accidents that occur because of this in certain highway defect cases.
- Mechanical Failure - Defective or recalled parts can easily cause an accident or make the damages from an accident much worse. Manufacturers can often be held liable for the damages caused from defective parts or products.
- Dangerous Weather - Hazardous weather conditions like heavy rain, snow, or hail can cause slippery roads or low visibility, and these situations are very likely to cause car accidents.
Types of Car Accidents
While there are numerous types of car accidents that can occur on the busy Houston roadways, there are several that are considered to be the most common. They include:
- Rear-end Collisions - Rear-end collisions at red lights or otherwise are incredibly common. In addition, these types of car accidents can cause whiplash or lead to chronic injuries that require extensive treatment.
- Side-impact Accidents - Most common at red lights, these types of collisions are often called "t-bone" accidents and can be especially devastating if the driver's side of a vehicle is struck.
- Head-on Collisions - These sorts of accidents occur most often at high speeds and, unfortunately, often end in fatality.
- Multi-car Accidents - On interstates or crowded highways in Houston, a single car crash can turn into a multi-car pile-up very quickly, and the injuries can be numerous.
Car Accident Injuries
Medical expenses are one of the chief damages that victims can receive compensation for because of a car accident. Car accidents are responsible for numerous injuries that range from minimal to severe. These injuries include:
- Whiplash and Neck Injuries - Whiplash is the most common injury from car accidents, and it is caused by a sudden jerk of the neck while the body stays stationary. Neck injuries are most often the result of rear-end collisions.
- Head or Back Injuries - Car accidents make it easy to receive serious head or back injuries including skull fractures, herniated disks, or even full or partial paralysis.
- Brain Injury - A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can easily result from a car accident. TBIs range from concussions to serious comas. These sorts of injuries commonly have long-term effects for victims and can be particularly devastating to one's way of life. In addition, recovering from or living with a TBI can be costly.
- Broken Bones - Car accidents produce the momentum to easily fracture or break bones. These injuries can vary in severity and recovery time.
- Wrongful Death - Fatalities are the most devastating results of car accidents. If a loved one is killed in a car accident, the victim's family is often eligible for compensation for funeral expenses or loss of companionship.
Compensation and Financial Recovery
In the event of a serious car accident, victims are often eligible for compensation if the accident was caused by the negligence of another party. Note that Texas law states that there is a 2 year statute of limitations for car accident damages. In addition, Texas is not a no fault car insurance state, meaning that the party at fault must be held responsible for paying compensation.
Finally, Texas follows a modified comparative negligence law when it comes to car accidents. What this means is that if both parties can be held partially liable for the accident, the compensation due will be adjusted according to each party's degree of fault. However, if one party is found to be more than 50% liable, he or she is owed nothing.
Firstly, in order to receive compensation at all, a driver, parts manufacturer, government agency, etc. must be proven negligent and that negligence directly caused the accident. Once liability has been established, a car accident attorney can help you calculate the total damages suffered from your accident. These damages can include:
- Medical Expenses - Any immediate or future medical expenses can be compensated for in a car accident case. This includes hospitalization after the accident and any therapy or medications needed during the recovery period.
- Lost Wages - Victims may receive compensation for any missed time at work due to recovery from injuries.
- Pain and Suffering - Emotional trauma is a real possibility after a serious car accident. Victims may receive compensation for anxiety, depression, or other like injuries.
- Wrongful Death - If a loved one is killed because of a car accident, family members can receive compensation for funeral costs, loss of companionship, loss of income, etc.
Why Hire a Houston Auto Accident Attorney?
Hiring a qualified attorney following a car accident is the right move. Your attorney will help investigate your case and decide how much compensation you may be owed for your injuries. In addition, your attorney can help negotiate with insurance companies if you feel they aren't providing the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one have been involved in a car accident, do not settle for less than you deserve. Let Houston attorneys Neal Davis and Jed Silverman help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our No Fee Guarantee is simple - unless we win, you don't pay. Contact us today for a free consultation and see how we can help.